Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dogged but slow...





..that's me, unlike the dog who is nippy and quick to learn. We can now clip claws, with Miss T's help, I can't do the left side because I can't work out how to hold her paws left handed, but I can do the right side (?). This is mostly due to a very kind and patient nurse at the animal hospital who took her time to win the dog's confidence and to show me how to do it.
The weather is weird... it poured with rain all Sunday night here, so walking to school on Monday morning was almost impossible. Every other step and Strawbs or I would slide down the very slippery slope, fortunately Miss T (or her boots) was made of sterner stuff and she just pulled us back up. Now the temperature is back down to minus 16 C and the ice isn't quite so lethal.

10 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Fabulous photos Nea. All looks well.

Crowbard said...

I love the pictures Pooh, especially the second from the top where Strawbs has tanked up on helium and is floating on Nippy's lead. Clearly a sensible, down to earth dog!
GUC

Unknown said...

Hi Nea. I don't know if you remember that Humphrey (our first English setter) had one slightly deformed toe so that the toenail/claw didn't wear down and had to be clipped regularly (usually by the vet). Humph would hold his foot up to the vet, then whimper all the way through the clipping, but without any attempt to withdraw his foot.

Unknown said...

P.s. Lovely pictures. They make me feel cold.
Love, Pa and Granny.

Nea said...

Thank you, Lori!

That was the one I liked the best too, GUC. And now I know why, it's definitely the helium.

I'd forgotten that about Humph, Pa.
Nipa, we were told, does not like having her claws trimmed, and she has been pulling away when we've tried to hold her paws, but the nurse just held her gently and firmly and now she doesn't pull away any more. It's still a fiddly job, but we trim a little every Saturday, just to keep in practise.

Pat said...

Gosh I didn't know you had to cut their nails.
A firm grasp was always best when trying to minister to children. It gives them confidence.

Crowbard said...

Hi Pat,
My Granny took a firm grasp which gave me confidence only in the fact that I had no options but to endure it. ( Like Humph... whimpering all the way through!)
I hated every session and felt thoroughly brutalized afterwards - very sensitive digits.

Pat said...

My Dad used to tell me how his mother used to hold his head in a vice like grip to wash his face.

















sh his face.

Crowbard said...

Yes I suffered that indignity too Pat. It's what makes the male of the species less hygenic than the female - the constant expectation of suffocation or drowning!

Nea said...

I think this dog's nails grow particularly fast, Pat. They give her a good grip in the snow and ice.

I don't think it's a male/female thing GUC, Strawbs has always hated having face and hair washed and nails cut. I've let her do it herself since before she started school, all apart from the nails.